5-Day Intensive Solar Training. PV 200 is an intensive solar training course that offers 40 hours of critical knowledge and hands-on practice in the essentials of photovoltaic technology (PV). The course content has been honed through 15 years of experience and is taught by experienced industry professionals. If you are a contractor or electrician interested in expanding your business, would like to start a solar business, or just want an in-depth look into how Solar PV works, then this course is for you!
Through presentation, students will learn solar fundamentals: basic electricity, celestial mechanics, energy efficiency, solar markets and applications, system design, system components, construction safety and solar tools. Through hands-on practice, students gain experience in mounting solar panels, racking with roof penetrations, wiring inverters, DC and AC disconnects and load center/service panels.
This course is designed to meet the learning objectives in preparation for the NABCEP Entry Level Exam. As such, the course offers an excellent foundation into solar technology, and hands-on training whether or not you choose to take the exam.
Course topics include:
· Conservation & Efficiency Practices
· PV Markets and Applications
· Safety Basics
· Electricity Basics
· Solar Energy Fundamentals
· PV Module Fundamentals
· System Components
· System Sizing
· PV Electrical & Mechanical Design
· Performance Analysis & Troubleshooting
SLI recommends PV100, which provides a good introduction to electricity, calculations and terminology, solar system components and how it all fits together. Call 707-472-2456 to discuss prerequisites further if you have questions.
Course fees include a course textbook and other resource materials. Please bring a calculator, pen or pencil and note paper with you to class. Wifi is available.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the benefits of energy efficiency
- State the advantages and disadvantages of the PV market
- Understand and define the fundamentals of electricity
- List the components of a PV module array and the factors that determine PV module performance
- Identify all components necessary for the balance of a system
- Define various terminologies related to site evaluation
- Design both Grid-Tied and Off-Grid PV systems
- Learn how to install a PV system, maintain it, and troubleshoot potential problems
- Know all safety measures necessary during installation
North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) Entry Level Exam:
NABCEP is recognized in the solar industry for setting the gold standard of quality. Students may find that taking and passing this test lends credibility as a job seeker; it also counts as 18 hours of educational credit towards the advanced Solar PV Installer Certification.
Upon completion of the PV200, students can register for the paper and pencil test given 3 times per year at the Solar Living Center. Students have the option to take the computer based test given year round at Castle testing centers. Info here.
Students are talking about our popular flagship course...
- "Excellent information. Excellent hands on training. This class is a MUST for anyone interested in promoting/working in this solar field." – Rhonda Lester – Mesa, AZ
- "These workshops have taken me farther in my PV profession than any others I have attended." – Robert Padduck – Salinas, CA
- "This is sure to be one of the most important weeks in my life long solar career. I was engaged every minute." – Michael Bishop – Santa Cruz, CA
- "The class covered all of my electrical questions above and beyond my expectations. Doug was an excellent and amazingly knowledgeable instructor." – Robert Stillwell – Goleta, CA