In this class you will learn how to make great living compost. Hands-on compost building, types, recipes, methods, maintenance, testing, tips, tricks and microscope basics. This class will focus on making high quality compost that you can NOT buy at the nursery. Unlike store bought, good homemade compost is fresh, in balance, full of oxygen and teaming with micro-organisms!
By making specific composts, we can cultivate organisms for specific purposes such as natural pest control, killing fungus and mold, weed suppression, improving soil structure, and so much more. These types of compost will increase the growth rate, nutritional value and disease resistance of the plants you grow. Adding good quality compost to soil can even save water during the drought. This class will also cover many other aspects of compost use, including the use of waste heat to warm water, homes, buildings, greenhouses, hot tubs and more. In fact, compost makes so much heat, you can actually cook with it! Don't miss your chance to slow roast a chicken inside a hot compost pile during this course...
3 Hands-on Experience Opportunities:
- Designing and building compost piles using proven master techniques!
- Live microscope demonstration, an introduction to “Compost Life Under the Lens”.
- Cooking with compost? Slow roasted chicken baked inside a hot compost pile!
Course Topics Include:
- Understanding How to Identify and Make World Class Compost at Home
- Making Different Types of Compost for Different Needs and Uses
- How to House compost Piles for Ease of use, Moisture Retention, Air Flow, Protection from Animals and more
- Understanding the Basics of Healthy Compost and Soil Micro-organisms
- Caring for Compost Pile Needs, Layers, Air, Relative Humidity, Protection, etc.
- Using Compost to Heat your Home, Greenhouse or Any Structure
- Recommended Tools and Equipment
Whether you are interested in horticulture, agriculture, indoor, outdoor, or any form of gardening, master composting will be an enormous benefit to your green thumb. Learn from experienced professionals and see the difference great compost can make for you and all your growing projects. Includes details covering what tools and materials are necessary to build amazing compost for yourself! Hope you can join us for the amazing course appropriately being held at one of California's oldest and most successful Permaculture demonstration/education sites, The Solar Living Institute!
Presented by: Nor Cal Aquaponics, www.norcalaquaponics.com and www.solarliving.org
Instructor: Max Meyers, Aquaponics Specialist,/Registered Aquaculturist/Permaculture Designer. We feel very fortunate to have Max Meyers as our core instructor for this course. With almost 20 years of experience in Permaculture, Sustainable Water systems and Aquaponics, he is an invaluable member of our team.