We are now accepting application for the 2015 Intern Program. Click here to find out more.
After the devastating flood of 2005, which destroyed the interns beloved 'dome home', the staff and board of the SLI committed to upgrading the infrastructure for our hard-working interns.
Construction began on our new Intern Village in March 2006. It has since accomodated our interns comfortably and sustainably. Our intern village includes:
- Community Yurt with 30-foot kitchen, Wolf stove and comfortable living space
- Women's Cob Bunkhouse: 3 beds
- Men's Yurt: 2 bunk beds
- Bathhouse: Naturally built cob showerhouse with indoor and outdoor shower facilities and mosaic tile design
- Cob bench, fire circle and earthen oven
- Chicken coop with 4 laying hens & a rooster
- New solar hot water system for the large yurt
- New greywater system for kitchen and showers
- Village kitchen garden with herbs and tomatoes
- "Great Wall of Hopland," a roofed, hand-plastered strawbale wall that separates the village from Highway 101
You can also check out some of the intern facilities on facebook, or stop by to see them for yourself!
Thanks to our generous village patrons, including the Colorado Yurt Company, Flooring Alternatives, and Sonoma Tile Works.
Growing Spaces Dome
Thanks to the generous donation by Growing Spaces of Colorado, the Solar Living Center has a new 26' diameter Growing Dome greenhouse, completed in the summer of 2012.
The Growing Dome serves multiple purposes to suport our mission of "promoting sustainable living through inspirational environmental education":
- Intern Program education and training project
- K-12 Education Tours
- General Public Education Tours
- Fresh organic produce for local food bank
- Aquaonics demonstration
Our site manager, Nop Panitchpakdi, is producing organic sunflower sprouts and wheatgrass, delivered fresh to local community food markets in additon to other micro-greens and herbs.
Check out the video of the weekend construction of the Growing Dome - with the aid of the Summer 2012 Interns.